The Ultrasound Technologist performs diagnostic ultrasound and other radiology tests for patients within the guidelines of the Hospital, while providing a safe environment for patients and staff. If technologist is also ARRT and performing radiology exams they will perform a variety of technical procedures that require independent judgment in applying ionizing radiation for diagnosis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES, FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Performs diagnostic testing for patients, to include: a. Abdominal , pelvic, OB/GYN b. Small parts, such as breast, scrotum and thyroid c. Limited vascular (venous Doppler) and echocardiograms (routine and stress) d. Advanced vascular (carotid & arterials) preferred.
2. Performs a variety of US procedures to include Abd, OB, small parts (breast, scrotum and thyroid) and vascular, while acquiring necessary data to include pertinent patient history and clinical data for interpretation by radiologist.
3. If applicable, performs diagnostic radiology, fluoroscopy, portable, OR and special procedures using a variety of technical skills and following AART protocol guidelines.
4. ARDMS protocol guidelines, in conjunction with radiologist protocols are to be adhered to.
5. Produce diagnostic quality ultrasound images by choosing correct transducer, protocol & appropriate machine settings.
6. Assists in special procedures with competency in amniocentesis, paracentesis, thoracentesis, ultrasound guided cyst aspiration and/or biopsy, hysterosonograms, and localization for nerve blocks.
7. Provides a safe and caring environment for patients undergoing imaging examinations.
8. Processes film using CR plates & reader (for general x-ray).
9. Performs routine office tasks and documentation of procedures as needed, including order entry on the EHR entry system and RAPC RIS.
10. Wears a radiation dosage monitoring badge daily – following dosimetry recommendations, if applicable.
11. Releases patient imaging exams while adhering to HIPPA and other privacy laws and regulations. Maneuvers remote PACS (i.e. successfully complete an exam by adding priors or merging if necessary, ultimately allowing exam radiologist ready for interpretation).
MINIMUM MANDATORY QUALIFICATIONS
• Must have 5 years of scanning experience with the ability to scan unsupervised. • If technologist will be working as a registered Radiologic Technologist, must have at least 2 years’ experience.
• Successful completion of an approved Ultrasound Technology Program with current American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography. • If technologist will be working in general Radiology, completion of Radiology Technology program in an ARRT approved school. • Current registration with American Registry of Radiology Technologists.
• Current CPR certification • Must hold certifications in abdominal, OB/GYN. • Alaska Fluoroscopy user’s certification (within three months of hire) if applicable. • Thorough knowledge of the sonographic protection standards, bio effects of sound waves on living organisms; the effect of sonographic technique on patient & operator in order to assure adequate safeguards are maintained.
Nestled on the western coast of Baranof Island; thought to be the most beautiful of the Southeast Alaska cities, Sitka is flanked on the east by majestic snow-capped mountains and on the west by the Pacific Ocean. Sitka is one of Alaska’s best kept secrets; a recreation paradise with boating, fishing, hunting and hiking opportunities galore. With our mild climate, these activities can be enjoyed y...ear round. We are proud to have served the community of Sitka, Alaska with quality healthcare services for over 50 years. We are committed to provide excellent care to our patients. Our skilled group of Imaging Technologists are certified and qualified to provide X-rays, Fluoroscopy, CT scans, Echo Cardiograms, Ultrasound, and Mammography. All scans are reviewed through contractual services by a Radiologist Group in Oregon - the electronically transmitted images are read and interpreted within 24 hours. We are also connected via digital Teleradiology with Virginia Mason Medical Center. This allows us to obtain readings by their radiologists if needed in an emergency. We take pride in our reputation of meeting the community needs. Call today!