** Supervisor, Operations (Patient Flow Center, Office of Decedent Affairs) **
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
The Patient Flow Center manages the transfer of patients into Vanderbilt University Hospital and all bed capacity of the adult enterprise. This includes interfacing with the emergency department and inpatient units to expedite flow of patients through the Vanderbilt system. The Patient Flow Center is comprised of the following departments: Administrative Coordinators, Admission Coordinators, Bed Management, Decedent Affairs, Patient Transport, and the VUH Transfer Center.
About the Position:
Death Certificate Management: (40%)
Initiate and complete all death certificates when a patient expires at VUMC to include, but not limited to: confirming and accurately transcribing patient demographics, ensuring the physician completes appropriate sections and signs, and coordinating with appropriate funeral home or health department for filing
Partner with Tennessee Department of Health to ensure Vanderbilt compliance with new Vital Records Information Management System and Vanderbilt physician enrollment
Patient Disposition and Release: (40%)
· Responsible for coordinating and managing the patient release process from VUH and VCH to include, but not limited to: coordinating with Funeral Home, Medical Examiner, Tennessee Donor Services, or family, scheduling a release time of decedent, and confirming all appropriate paperwork has been completed
· Responsible for managing the infant cremation process
· Collaborate with unit staff to take report of death and accept patient to morgue when applicable
· Responsible for updating and confirming accuracy of morgue log in both VUH and VCH
· Coordinate release of patient belongings from morgue
Additional Responsibilities: (20%)
· Provide support to Decedent Affairs Manager to include but not limited to: answering the DA office and cell phone and returning calls as needed, monthly state and institutional reporting, partnering with surgical pathology and providing assistance with autopsy consents, and triaging operational issues as they arise
· Other duties as assigned
In addition to offering a lively community that encourages learning and celebrates diversity, Vanderbilt University Medical Center provides its faculty and staff members with a benefits package that is comprehensive and flexible. Components for benefits-eligible employees include:
· PTO · Health Plan · Parental Leave · Life Insurance · Retirement · Short-Term Disability · Long-term Disability · Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) · Dental Insurance · Group Discounts · Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) Vision
** Minimum Qualification for Consideration **
The position requires High School Diploma or GED and 4 years of experience or the equivalent.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.
Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disea...se.
As the largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.
Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.