Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
· VUMC Guest Services team assists with the flow of information between patients, visitors and the Medical Center. We strive to create a welcoming, comfortable and pleasant environment for our visitors. Uniformed Guest Service Representatives are located at various information desks and waiting areas throughout the Medical Center to provide information, directions or assist with any need you might have while visiting. This position will be working in various areas of the medical center and floating to various departments as needed.
· In this pivotal role, you will be greeting and assisting patients and their visiting friends and families in the Children's Intensive Care Unit. You will be handling routine customer service inquiries and problems, as well as maintaining professional communication with various PAS staff, medical center staff, physicians, and guests.
Assists or provide patients/visitors with information, resources, and directions.
Facilitates communication between patients, visitors, physicians, and other staff.
Contributes to the organization by actively participating in process improvement initiatives and shared decision making.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
CUSTOMER COMMUNICATION - (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency in demonstrating customer service communication skills such as smiling, greeting, tone of voice, eye contact and body language. Practices excellent communication skills with patients/guests such as listening acknowledgement, empathy and solution-based thinking.
CORPORATE HOSPITALITY (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency in demonstrating corporate hospitality and professionalism within the position. Demonstrates attentiveness and approachability to patient/guest questions and needs. Demonstrated professionalism in being knowledgeable of products and services. Understands position as a professional source for information and services. Takes ownership in safety, appearance and functionality of immediate area.
EMPLOYEE/VISITOR CONFIDENTIALITY (NOVICE): - Demonstrates sufficient knowledge of the subject to successfully demonstrate protection of patient privacy and confidentiality. Has working knowledge of practicing protection of patient information through communication, patient documents and electronically.
Organizational Impact: Performs tasks that are typically routine that may impact team's performance with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes some discretion and research to solve routine problems.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies knowledge of standards, established processes and procedure that apply to your own job.
Team Interaction: Provides guidance to entry level co-workers.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S2):
Develops Self and Others: Continuously improves own skills by identifying development opportunities.
Builds and Maintains Relationships : Seeks to understand colleagues priorities, working styles and develops relationships across areas.
Communicates Effectively: Openly shares information with others and communicates in a clear and courteous manner.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S2):
Serves Others with Compassion: Invests time to understand the problems, needs of others and how to provide excellent service.
Solves Complex Problems: Seeks to understand issues, solves routine problems, and raises proper concerns tosupervisors in a timely manner.
Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Listens carefully to understand the issues and provides accurate information and support.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S2):
Performs Excellent Work: Checks work quality before delivery and asks relevant questions to meet quality standards.
Ensures Continuous Improvement: Shows eagerness to learn new knowledge, technologies, tools or systems and displays willingness to go above and beyond.
Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Demonstrates basic knowledge of conditions that affect safety and reports unsafe conditions to the appropriate person or department.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S2):
Demonstrates Accountability: Takes responsibility for completing assigned activities and thinks beyond standard approaches to provide high-quality work/service.
Stewards Organizational Resources: Displays understanding of how personal actions will impact departmental resources.
Makes Data Driven Decisions: Uses accurate information and good decision making to consistently achieve results on time and without error.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S2):
Generates New Ideas: Willingly proposes/accepts ideas or initiatives that will impact day-to-day operations by offering suggestions to enhance them.
Applies Technology: Absorbs new technology quickly; understands when to utilize the appropriate tools and procedures to ensure proper course of action.
Adapts to Change: Embraces change by keeping an open mind to changing plans and incorporates change instructions into own area of work.
· HS Diploma or GED
· 3 years relevant experience
· Positive and upbeat personality with a desire to deliver outstanding customer service to our guests. A great sense of empathy and compassion is a must to help patients' families going thru a difficult time.
· Ability to learn
· Flexibility to float to different locations as needed
· Excellent customer service abilities
· Desire to work with a team
· Compassion and empathy
· All applicants are welcome, but we encourage workers who have been in the work force for many years to apply.
In this position, you will work 7:00 AM-6:00 PM. You will work every other, alternating weekend and will work 4 days one week and 3 days the following week. Because we operate 365 days a year, you also will need to be available to work every other, alternating major holiday.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
· Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
· Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
· The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
· National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
· Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
· Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
· American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.
Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disea...se.
As the largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.
Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.