The Cook is responsible for the preparation and service of breakfast, lunch and dinner meals for patients and facility staff according to the approved menu cycle and production sheets.
Education/Experience: Must have at least two (2) years experience in quantity cooking, a basic knowledge of modified diets; training in food service sanitation and possession of food service sanitation certificate as required; experience utilizing industrial kitchen equipment and utensils; and some prior kitchen supervisory experience helpful.
Additional Requirements: You may be required to successfully complete the Fremont Hospital's non- violent Crisis Prevention Intervention (CPI) training course within 90 days of employment and prior to assisting with preventative intervention measures. You may be required to work overtime and flexible hours.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND PERFORMANCE EVALUATION
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees classified on this job.
□ Job Description:
I have reviewed and received a copy of the job description and understand how I will be evaluated on my Performance Evaluation
□ Performance Evaluation (Complete the Self-Evaluation):
I have reviewed this document, discussed its contents with my manager and had the opportunity to make written comments. I have received a copy of the job description / performance evaluation, and my signature indicates my understanding and acceptance of its contents.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
THIS SECTION DESCRIBES WHAT KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES AN EMPLOYEE IN THIS POSITION SHOULD CURRENTLY POSSESS. THIS LIST MAY NOT BE COMPLETE FOR ALL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED FOR THIS POSITION.
Knowledge of basic therapeutic diets.
Knowledge of basic food service sanitation.
Knowledge of food portion and waste control.
Knowledge of industrial kitchen operations and procedures.
Knowledge of industrial equipment and utensils, and skill in utilizing such.
Knowledge of basic equipment repairs and adjustments.
Skill in organizing and prioritizing workloads to meet deadlines.
Skill in telephone etiquette and paging procedures.
Effective oral and written communication skills.
Ability to cook in large quantities.
Ability to perform office procedures in absence of the Food Service Manager.
Ability to read menus and recipes.
Ability to communicate effectively with patients and co-workers.
Ability to adhere to safety policies and procedures.
Ability to use good judgment and to maintain confidentiality of information.
Ability to work as a team player.
Ability to demonstrate tact, resourcefulness, patience and dedication.
Ability to accept direction and adhere to policies and procedures.
Ability to recognize the importance of adapting to the various patient age groups (adolescent, adult and geriatric).
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Ability to meet corporate deadlines.
Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, AND SPECIAL DEMANDS
THIS SECTION DESCRIBES HOW AN EMPLOYEE IN THIS POSITION CURRENTLY PERFORMS THE FUNCTIONS OF THIS POSITION.
MODIFICATIONS TO THE MANNER IN WHICH THIS JOB MAY BE PERFORMED WILL BE REVIEWED ON A CASE BY CASE BASIS.
1. Ability to manipulate various kitchen equipment and utensils.
2. Ability to read menus and recipes.
3. Ability to work within deadlines.
4. Ability to stand and walk about the kitchen and facility frequently.
5. Ability to stand up to 8 hours at a time.
6. Ability to lift at least 50 pounds and to push and pull up to 50 pounds.
7. Ability to work in temperatures ranging from -0°F. to 100°F. and higher.
8. Ability to stoop, kneel and bend daily.
9. Ability to reach, twist and turn above and below the waist.
10. Ability to use both hands to accomplish assigned duties.
11. Prepared to handle hazardous chemicals as needed.
12. Ability to see, taste, smell and hear to assess products served and produce a safe work environment.
MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, AND OTHER WORK AIDES:
THIS SECTION DESCRIBES THOSE MACHINES, TOOLS, EQUIPMENT, AND OTHER WORK AIDES AN EMPLOYEE IN THIS POSITION MUST BE ABLE TO USE.
1. All kitchen equipment including ovens, mixers, steamers, toasters, steam tables, knives, slicer, tilt skillet, dishwasher, coffee maker, and hand held kitchen equipment and utensils.
2. Food and non-food supplies.
3. Telephone and paging system.
4. Recipe books, menus, production sheets.
5. Business office machines.
6. Computer , software applications, and printer.
7. Policies, procedures, plans and program manuals.