The Data Center Supervisor will support both the Physical Infrastructure of VUMC and its facilities along with administrative and HR people management duties. The Data Center Supervisor will drive data center best practice and relative industry standards into working processes and procedures as/where applicable. This is a hands-on Data Center Supervisor position.
Directly support and complete all scheduled data center (Moves/Adds/Changes)
Hardware installation (Moves/Adds/Changes), including device labeling, power connectivity and network cable connectivity
Manage shift schedules, team and individual meetings, site operational readiness, monthly KPI reports and all other HR duties as needed.
Conduct staff 1:1 meetings, interview meetings and team development plans.
Project management from defining scope, resources, and priority. To overseeing and implementing the project plan.
Complete hardware support work orders involving: hardware and cabling (Moves/Adds/Changes), and troubleshooting.
Asset management, auditing and daily work log/ticket tracking.
Provide smart-hands assistance as required for multiple customers at various sites within specified response times (on-call duties apply)
Maintain a safe and secure operating environment within the data center and report any violations to their immediate supervisor.
Detailed and thorough documentation and record keeping.
Maintain site security protocols, badging requirements and data protection procedures.
Ensure all media storage devices (Hard drives, thumb drives, CD/DVD s, etc.) are properly logged, secured and documented to ensure compliance with retention practices.
Advanced working knowledge with server and network hardware/components, copper and fiber infrastructure installation and testing, data center productivity and support tools, applications and software (Windows, Linux, SSH, RDP, Putty, etc.), and data center infrastructure management (DCIM) related tools.
Coordinate equipment/material receiving, shipping and processing support as/when required.
Provide vendor and security escorts as needed.
Responsible for overall site readiness, cleanliness and staffing.
Support standard and emergency operating procedures for data center.
Daily error log reporting and physical DC inspections for general health, power, cooling, hazards, etc.
Coordinates equipment installation and delivery schedules in accordance with set project plan.
On-Call, Vacation and Sick Coverage as needed.
Plans, organizes, and manages duties and provides leadership for department.
Facilities development and implementation of departmental policies/procedures, goals, and budget.
Participates in operations duties.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
LEADERSHIP - (NOVICE): - Sets the example in challenging and difficult situations. Can demonstrate different leadership styles, such as supportive and authoritative, as individuals and situations require it. Communicates team and unit goals clearly and effectively. Is receptive to ideas and suggestions from team members. Shows leadership and initiative in situations where supervision is not present or required.
OPERATIONS PLANNING - (NOVICE): - Demonstrates ability to realistically anticipate resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, define dependencies, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work within areas of direct responsibility. Appropriately matches equipment and capital resources to task demands. Achieves results within budget. Competently handles multiple assignments simultaneously. Reshapes project during life-cycle evolution, if needed. Demonstrates ability to break down work into manageable and measurable units. Accepts changes to assignments with minimal disruption and loss of productivity. Able to absorb changes to major assignments while maintaining a high level of performance. Uses available time efficiently. Follows up to assure problems and issues are resolved.
PEOPLE MANAGEMENT - (NOVICE): - Conducts performance reviews. Effectively delegates tasks to others. Coaches subordinates on technical and interpersonal topics, as well as professional development. Demonstrates team building techniques and provides leadership through personal example of good work habits, open communication and effective people relationships. Involves subordinates in decisions which affect them. Demonstrates self-reliance and resourcefulness as an example to others.
COMPLIANCE - (NOVICE): - Can explain and apply basic statutory instructions in normal situations on the job. Understands the principles upon which the rules and regulations are based. Appropriately escalates problems relating to rules and regulations in timely and effective manner.
QUALITY MANAGEMENT - (NOVICE): - Has provided continuous analysis and evaluation of assignment work processes, constantly striving for improvement in the way tasks and activities are accomplished by questioning their value to the process and contributing creative solutions. Has participated in the process of establishing, communicating and monitoring standards for quality and excellence. Demonstrates the ability to actually work on and improve a current business process, product or service.
BUSINESS RESULTS - (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Implements appropriate measures for attaining business results and tracks progress in meeting goals and objectives. Demonstrates the ability to deliver products and services on time, within budget, and in accordance with organizational standards and goals. Continuously demonstrates a strong focus on quality. Responds effectively to customer or client needs. Recognizes incipient problems and communicates them to management.
Organizational Impact: Plans and sets day to day objectives for the team that have a direct effect on the results of the department or area that the job is in.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Resolves technical and operational problems within provided guidelines.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies advanced subject matter knowledge within a specific technical area and basic management knowledge to support the team.
Team Interaction: Leads/supervises a unit within a department or a small department. Typically without budget or hire/fire authority. Role is typically a 'working' supervisor.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (M1):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (M1):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (M1):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (M1):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (M1):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.