Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center TempForce (TempForce) was created to connect temporary talent to all areas of VUMC. TempForce places diverse and skilled personnel to departments across the Medical Center.
VUMC TempForce has an immediate need for Coding Specialist II Remote . Under the direction of the Assistant Director, Coding, the Coding Specialist II (CS II) is responsible for the review, accurate assignment, and abstraction of diagnostic and procedural codes to inpatient encounters of moderate to high complexity using ICD-9 and ICD-10-CM/PCS or any other designated coding classification system in accordance with official coding rules and regulations and the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Standards of Ethical Coding. Incumbent must have key inpatient facility coding/auditing knowledge and the experience necessary to determine the correct principal diagnosis, identify and assign co-morbidities and complications, major co-morbidities and complications, secondary diagnoses, present on admission (POA) indicators, hospital acquired conditions (HAC), accurate code assignment for principal and secondary procedures performed in a hospital environment and selection of appropriate DRG and discharge disposition code.
Key Functions and Expected Performance:
· Demonstrates an in-depth expert level knowledge base of technical coding principles and reimbursement guidelines for the accurate assignment of ICD-9 and ICD-10 CM/PCS diagnosis and procedure codes as set forth in the Uniform Hospital Discharge Data Set, Medicare guidelines and other regulatory agencies.
· Assigns the most appropriate MS-DRG and/or APR-DRG risk of mortality/severity of illness to reflect the utilization of resources during the during the patient encounter and in compliance with regulatory and CHIM departmental guidelines.
· Reviews physician documentation and other clinical documentation to ensure that clinical documentation supports all assigned codes, recognizes documentation clarification opportunities and works with CDE team to secure clarification or additional documentation as appropropriate.
· Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing official coding resources as well as the electronic medical record, computer assisted coding/encoder software, and clinical documentation information systems to facilitate code assignment.
· Maintains departmental quality and productivity standards set by the CHIM management team.
· Reviews department-specific reports daily to identify charts that need to be coded and prioritized per department-specific guidelines and within designated timelines.
· Understands how ICD codes, DRGs and SOI/ROM scores are used for reimbursement, public reporting of outcomes, reviewing quality of patient care, financial modeling, strategic planning and marketing.
· Demonstrates advanced knowledge of medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology to interpret general medical classifications and adheres to Compliance rules and regulations.
· Mentors and assists in the training and professional growth of other team members.
· Participates in accurate data collection, analysis, evaluation, problem solving and recommendations of process improvements, including productivity and special projects.
· Attends and participates in continuing education including in-service programs, coding seminars and workshops to maintain current understanding of coding developments, changes, and regulations.
· Generates coding specific reports on a weekly or monthly basis per established parameters.
· Participates in onsite and/or external training workshops as opportunities arise.
· Maintains credentials and submits written evidence of maintenance.
· Collaborates on cases where the CDE DRG and final coded DRG differ, in order to resolve the difference.
· Adheres to the Company's Mission and Values.
· Adheres to the Company's Code of Conduct philosophy.
· Other duties as assigned.
· Expert level knowledge base of ICD-9- and ICD-10-CM/PCS coding classification systems, diagnosis and procedure selection, sequencing guidelines, MS-DRG and APR-DRG prospective payment and severity systems.
· Proficient at writing AHIMA complaint physician queries.
· Demonstrated competence in coding and the appropriate application o f official coding and billing guidelines to specific coding situations.
· Ability to apply broad guidelines to specific coding situations, independently utilizing discretion and a significant level of analytic ability.
· Excellent problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
· Demonstrated ability to work and contribute as part of an interactive problem solving team.
· Ability to work effectively, independently, and manage multiple demands consistently.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.