V iTAL, the V anderb I lt Center for T obacco, A ddiction, and L ifestyle
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
The Clinical Trials Associate 2 will provide, under direct supervision, support for federally funded research project Helping Hand 4 and other projects related to smoking cessation. The Helping Hand 4 study is an extension of a previous grant (Helping HAND 2), which aims to identify a cost effective strategy for delivering smoking cessation treatment to hospitalized smokers at the time of discharge. Participants will be randomized to one of 2 existing strategies to augment post-discharge care of smoking: eReferral to the state quitline vs. bedside medication and interactive voice response follow up. This position will also include following research protocols, determining eligibility, recruitment and enrolling study participants, performing data collection, and working with data and related software.
· Serve as the study recruiter; screen and enroll hospitalized patients
· Introduce and describe the study to potential study participants
· Complete the enrollment process: obtain informed consent, randomize participants to study group, and collect baseline data
· Assist in collection of data from human participants of all ages
· Assist in monitoring subjects using an automated, web-interface data management system that contacts patients by automated telephone, email, or text messages. Respond to requests made by patients for coaching, medication refills, or study-related questions
· Read and follow protocols
· Assist in modification and coordination of research procedures and techniques
· Develop forms and questionnaires for data collection
· Assist in creation of database files and maintain records
· Compile and prepare data for research reports
· Work with large datasets with attention to detail and accuracy
· Assist in the preparation of materials for publication
· Read professional journals and attend meetings and/or seminars
· Knowledgeable of excel data spreadsheets and REDCap
· Compile and communicate results to supervisor
· Work with the research team in support of additional study-related activities
· Other duties as necessary.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.