Home Health Coding Specialist (HH & OASIS C certification)-Vanderbilt Home Care
May 23, 2018
Vanderbilt Home Care
Discover Vanderbilt University Medical Center:
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Vanderbilt Home Care is part of one of the country's most respected medical centers. We provide in-home care for patients with chronic conditions.
Clickhere to learn more about the benefits of a career with Vanderbilt Home Care.
Bringing Vanderbilt Care into Your Home Since 1985
Vanderbilt Home Care provides caregivers in the patient's own environment under the direction of the patient's physician. When you or your loved one receives care from Vanderbilt Home Care, you are in the hands of highly skilled, compassionate individuals. We take pride in our work and feel privileged to be part of one of the country's most respected medical centers.
Our Mission and Values:
Our mission is to provide excellence in home care with the high standards that we would expect for our own family and loved ones. Our values include:
Support for community based home services through excellence in clinical practice and education
Patient safety and quality
Strong interdisciplinary collaboration, communication and partnership
Evidenced based practice and clinical expertise
Technology enhanced innovation
The Home Health Quality team is a small task oriented team which consists of a quality educator, a quality data analyst, and quality reviewer. They work closely together with clinical managers to provide meaningful data on home health patient population and clinician best practices.
Reviews, accurately assigns, and abstracts diagnostic and procedural codes to encounters using designated coding classification under occasional guidance.
High School Diploma or GED (or equivalent experience) (Required)
Organizes and prioritizes coding work to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and hospital targets.
Assigns the most appropriate diagnosis and procedures to reflect the utilization of resources during the patient encounter.
Recognizes documentation clarification opportunities to ensure it supports all codes and designation assignments. Initiates coding queries or tasks.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
MEDICAL CODING (INTERMEDIATE): - The transformation of healthcare diagnosis, procedures, medical services, and equipment into universal medical alphanumeric codes.
MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY & DOCUMENTATION (INTERMEDIATE): - The ability to comprehend medical terminology and documentation in an office, or surgical setting.
CRITICAL THINKING (INTERMEDIATE): - The objective analysis and evaluation of an issue in order to form a judgment.
COMPLIANCE (INTERMEDIATE): - Understanding the rules, regulations, sanctions and other statutory requirements, guidelines and instructions relating to governing bodies and organizations, both internally and externally.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
· Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
· Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
· The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
· National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
· Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Tennessee
· Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
· American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US