This is a full-time role with Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) within the Vanderbilt Institute of Imaging Science. The Institute is seeking a professional Application Developer to provide programming and/or engineering support within the context of a medical imaging informatics platform (Xnat technology). As an Application Developer on this team, you will facilitate common management, productivity, and quality assurance tasks for imaging (human) and associated data sets. You will implement and document defined research products; you will be involved in single or multi-project, multi-task programming and/or engineering in support of department's projects (3D medical imaging oriented) with direction from faculty and research staff.
Coding experience (Python, Java, C, C++), Strong technical writing background, familiarity with system administration, Linux, server processes, backup, and SQL strongly preferred - additionally, imaging oriented technologies (3D oriented - MRI, CAT, Ultra-Sound, etc.) preferred, Any exposure to Xnat technology preferred.
Additional responsibility :
Assist with modeling and analysis of discipline-specific engineering problems.
Assist team leader with development and maintenance of discipline-specific engineering tools and tests to support project and research goals.
Adhere to existing and develop/recommend new technical standards
Maintain familiarity and build expertise with emerging technologies and techniques related to project and research goals.
Develops or modifies software.
Ensures appropriate documentation for all development and modification.
Ensures integrity and security of institutional data.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
APPLICATION DEVELOPMENT (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates proficiency of programming and other development tasks independently and without support from others for moderate to difficult applications. Has conducted all of the tasks and activities required to complete the applications development phase and participated in the process of fully implementing the system. Able to successfully debug complex routines. In terms of structured programming, has used structured code to produce modules of straightforward logic.
APPLICATIONS DEVELOPMENT STANDARDS AND PROCEDURES (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate knowledge of applications development standards and procedures in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Is attentive to existing applications development standards and procedures, and may recommend improvements to existing applications development standards and procedures within the work area.
APPLICATIONS SYSTEM DESIGN - (NOVICE): - Demonstrates the ability to conduct systems design tasks in a team environment or independently to build or enhance a simple system. Has conducted the basic phases of systems design including preparing design and file specifications, preparing testing, conversion, and implementation plans, designing system architecture and process flows, and preparing program requirements and specifications. Creatively generates multiple potential solutions. In terms of structured systems design, if applicable, has participated in the structured design of one or more conventional, relatively uncomplicated data processing systems as a member of a project team. Is familiar with standard methods for functional decomposition. Has participated in structured design walk-throughs.
APPLICATIONS SYSTEM ANALYSIS (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Has some training in or light exposure to basic systems analysis tasks. Participated in one or more systems analysis tasks such as: collection of documents, user interviews, file analysis, process flow charting, functional process modeling, data modeling, feasibility, prototyping, and evaluating existing systems. Able to analyze information and verify its completeness. If applicable, has knowledge of the concepts of structured functional specifications, modularity and partitioning.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P2):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P2):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.