The surgical technologist will be working directly with the surgical team. The surgical technologist will be responsible for preparing the surgical suite according to age specific, medical condition and surgeon preference. The surgical technologist will also perform appropriate sponge, sharp and instrument counts according to hospital policies and procedures. It will be required for the surgical technologist to cross train to other surgical areas in our system. The surgical technologist will demonstrate competency to aseptic surgical equipment annually.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. The Surgical Technologist:
Prepares the operating room for surgical procedures by ensuring all the surgical equipment is functioning properly and safely
Prepares the operating room and the sterile field for surgical procedures by preparing sterile supplies, instruments, and equipment using sterile technique
Anticipates the needs of the surgical team based on knowledge of human anatomy and pathophysiology and how they relate to the surgical patient and the patient's surgical procedure
Is responsible for cleaning procedural areas between procedures to facilitate patient throughput.
Prepares case carts utilizing surgeon preference cards and separating hold from open items.
Does not open unnecessary supplies or create unnecessary waste in work
2. As directed in the operating room setting, the Surgical Technologist will perform the following tasks at the sterile field:
Passing supplies, equipment or instruments
Sponging or suctioning an operative site
Preparing and cutting suture material
Transferring and pouring irrigation fluids
Transferring but not administering drugs within the sterile field
Holding retractors and other instruments under the direct supervision of the physician
Applying electro cautery to clamps on bleeders prior to closing of fascia under the direct supervision of the physician
Connecting drains to suction apparatus
Applying dressings to closed wounds
Assisting in counting sponges, needles, supplies, and instruments with the registered nurse circulator
Maintaining sterile field throughout the surgical event
3. Cleans and prepares instruments for reprocessing/sterilization on completion of the surgery and assists the surgical team with cleaning of the operating room on completion of the surgery.
4. Demonstrates adherence to the hospital's policy and procedure regarding patient confidentiality as evidence by direct observation, verbalization of policy and procedures and peer review.
5. Demonstrate sensitivity to cultural and bilingual issues as evidence by observation and peer review.