JOB SUMMARY: Independently works off assessment skills to activate patient care protocols to deliver patient care within the Tennessee paramedic scope of practice within the defined Vanderbilt paramedic scope of practice. Responsible for triage care in the field as well as the Emergency Department. Responsible for effective communication to ensure safe and quality patient care in paramedic team, transport and handover.
Actively participates with other members of the healthcare team to provide direct patient care.
Transports patients via various modes of transportation while providing quality ALS and Critical Care management to all ages.
Responds to emergency requests within Vanderbilt, Vanderbilt sponsored or other contracted events.
Utilizes the problem solving model to independent resolve patient problems and follow through with HCT to implement solutions.
Identifies patient and unit problems and finds solutions to resolve problems and follows through to implement solutions.
Effectively communicates patient handover to the health care team.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
AIRWAY ESTABLISHING (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate airway establishing in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments. Has retained equivalent knowledge from past experience.
CRITICAL THINKING - (NOVICE): - Displays clarity, accuracy, precision, consistency, relevance, and sound evidence in the successful completion of tasks and projects. Demonstrates rational and disciplined thought as manifested in results.
VENTILATOR MANAGEMENT (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate ventilator management in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments.
ASSESSING, INTERVENING & STABILIZING PATIENTS (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate assessing, intervening and stabilizing patients in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Generally works under the direction of others while accomplishing assignments.
MEDICATION MANAGEMENT (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate Medication Management in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Conducted a comprehensive and systematic assessment of a persons ability to comply with a prescribed medication regime. Conducted an in depth, systematic review of a persons current and past medication history including details of prescription dates, prescribed doses, side effects, interactions and outcomes. Demonstrates enough acumen to recognize problems and to contact the patient's primary care provider.
Organizational Impact: Independently performs non-routine tasks that significantly impact team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Gathers and analyzes data to solve problems that arise with little or no precedent.
Breadth of Knowledge: Applies advanced job knowledge and has developed a breadth of skills in other areas.
Team Interaction: Serves as a lead for the team by providing expertise and guidance to team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (S4):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (S4):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (S4):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (S4):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (S4):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.