Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity — of culture, thinking, learning and leading — is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
The Osher Center for Integrative Medicine at Vanderbilt is where you'll find health care designed around your whole health: mind, body, and spirit. Integrative medicine goes beyond just treating your symptoms. It's an approach to care that empowers you to be active in your healing and lifelong wellness. Integrative medicine uses proven, research-based therapies such as yoga, acupuncture, mind-body counseling and massage that work with traditional medicine to help you achieve better health. For additional information, please visit https://www.vanderbilthealth.com/osher/ .
The Contemplative Neuroscience and Integrative Medicine lab (CNIM) at the Osher Center for Integrative Medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center invites applications for a research assistant position. The mission of The Osher center's CNIM research laboratory is to alleviate suffering and improve well-being through rigorous investigation of the mind. Under the direction of David Vago, PhD , the CNIM utilizes a translational approach to identify and characterize neurobiological substrates mediating psychopathology, to better predict outcomes and clarify potential biologically-based diagnostic and therapeutic strategies for those suffering with mental illness and chronic pain. Mixed research methods of systems biology, multi-modal neuroimaging (fMRI, MRI, DTI, EEG-fMRI), genomic and neuroendocrine science, innovation/ technology, psychological, cognitive-behavioral and first-person phenomenological analyses are used in a number of research initiatives that focus on the basic science and clinical applications of mind-brain-body and integrative medicine techniques.
In this pivotal, rewarding role, you will be responsible for assisting with study coordination including, but not limited to, roles such as: working directly with patients; collecting behavioral, electrophysiological, neuroimaging, and neuroendocrine data; scheduling and coordinating appointments; assisting in both structural and functional MRI scans of patient populations; data entry; and preparation of manuscripts, presentations, and/or grants. This position is oriented towards supporting Integrative Medicine Research with a focus on supporting basic neuroscience and clinical trials protocols for studying the effects of meditation, yoga, and other integrative health modalities in a health care setting.
· Collect and organize data from a variety of reference sources
· Prepare charts, graphs, and tables according to accepted research practices
· Perform preliminary analysis
· Assist in investigating and gathering data
· Route questionnaires, record information and distribute results using established procedures
· Assist with recruiting and interviewing study participants
· Provide appropriate documentation for research
· Update manual and/ or automated database file and maintain records
· Assist in the preparation of materials for publication
· Edit and/or type manuscripts according to accepted practices
· Keep abreast of trends in field of study
· Read professional journals and attend meetings and/or seminars
· May supervise student assistants
· Plan and assign work
· May assist in lab maintenance.
· Order supplies and equipment.
· Monitor and maintain inventory control.
· Bachelor's Degree in Behavioral Sciences, Psychology, Cognitive Neuroscience, or a related discipline
· Experience with wet lab preparations
· Proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
· At least 2 years of related experience, preferably in a health-related field involving human subjects or in a medical environment
· Some experience with research programming languages such as Python, Matlab, SPSS, or R
· Familiarity with REDCap programming and database management, programming in E-Prime, Presentation, PsychoPy
· Background in personal meditation practice
This term position has full-time hours with a standard day-time Mon-Fri schedule; flexibility requested and extended based on business needs. A Term position is a staff position that exists for a period longer than six months but is not expected to last beyond one year. Although a position may exist for a specified or indefinite period, staff who accept term positions are not guaranteed employment for the entire period; they are employed for indefinite periods within the limit of the appointment. There are no guarantees of continued employment, either within the term or when the term ends. However, this department is experiencing growth, and based on your performance, there may be additional opportunities!
VUMC Recent Accomplishments
Because we are committed to providing the best in patient care, education and research, we are proud of our recent accomplishments:
· US News & World Report: #1 Hospital in Tennessee, #1 Health Care Provider in Nashville, #1 Audiology ( Bill Wilkerson Center ), 12 adult and 10 pediatric clinical specialties ranked among the nation's best, #15 Education and Training
· Truven Health Analytics: among the top 50 cardiovascular hospitals in the U.S.
· Becker's Hospital Review: one of the "100 Greatest Hospitals in America"
· The Leapfrog Group: grade "A" in Hospital Safety Score
· National Institutes of Health: among the top 10 grant awardees for medical research in the US
· Magnet Recognition Program: Vanderbilt nurses are the only group honored in Middle Tennessee
· Nashville Business Journal: Middle Tennessee's healthiest employer
· American Hospital Association: among the 100 "Most Wired" medical systems in the US
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.