| The Ultrasound Technologist is responsible for the daily operation of the ultrasound lab; performs diagnostic ultrasonic procedure requiring independent judgment, ingenuity, and initiative; assists in research/teaching projects and assists physicians with guidance during invasive procedures, as directed. |
1. Accountable to the Vascular Department Manager
1. Service: Maximize utilization of Vascular Ultrasound services a. Preparing for diagnostic tests b. Set up ultrasound machine for diagnostic test c. Check for patient arrival in TouchWorks d. Order exam in Order Management if needed e. View patient chart for previous studies f. Completing Vascubase Preliminary reports g. Input appropriate charges ensuring medical necessity h. Ensure appropriate follow up is scheduled prior to patient leaving i. Fax patient information, orders and previous reports when necessary j. Ensure physician needs are met to increase resource utilization k. Query physicians about their needs l. Educate physicians concerning services provided if needed m. Ensure ICAVL protocols and standards are up to date for accreditation
2. Service: Ensure Customer Satisfaction
a. Performing diagnostic tests b. Escort patient to Vascular Lab area c. Explain procedure d. Answer patient questions e. Have patient undress appropriately for test f. Correctly label and identify each patient’s studies in the PACS system g. Perform appropriate ultrasound procedure h. Perform patient appointment confirmation calls i. Perform a variety of complex specialized tasks utilizing ultrasonic high frequency sound waves to detect abnormalities and/follow studies j. Assess need for additional exams k. Notify ordering physician of positive exams with possible health threat before patient leaves the office l. Ensure documentation is obtained m. Provide superior service to ensure customer satisfaction to both patients and providers
1. People: Prepare and maintain exam room, supplies and equipment a. Clean and maintain equipment and service b. Maintain stock of supplies; order supplies when necessary c. Order linens and maintain exam rooms in a neat and orderly manner d. Ensure all imaging equipment is maintained and functioning properly and that software protocols are backed up routinely. e. Keep up-to-date on state regulations for safety and equipment, including an up-to-date state regulation policy manual. f. Maintain inventory control and ordering system for room supplies.
3. Quality: Appointment Efficiency and Volume
Maximizing Volume and Appointment Efficiency through work-ins and communicating Availability in schedule.
4. Growth/Finance: Perform administrative duties as directed
a. Answer phone and questions efficiently; take messages and follow through when patients are finished. b. Assist in training personnel. c. Maximize scheduling through Performance Improvement Planning monthly with manager. d. Keep daily record of all patient studies, including date, PSC number, exam, requesting physician. e. Timeliness for charge entry, imaging 24 hour turnaround time. f. Accuracy of charge entry, checking edits.