The PinnacleHealth Cancer Institute’s board-certified medical oncologists are at the forefront of the latest systemic treatments for cancer.
Our medical oncology staff work collaboratively with surgeons and radiologists to develop the best treatment plan for your cancer. Our certified oncology nurses provide critical care, patient education and emotional support to cancer patients and their loved ones.
Position Summary: As part of the team of Advanced Practice personnel, this position provides inpatient and outpatient medical oncology care to patients acting in collaboration with physicians in the practice following established standards and practices.
Supervision Received: Reports directly to the medical director of Hematology Oncology
Supervision Exercised: None
Examples of Duties: (List is not all inclusive)
- Helps with all aspects of patient care, including disease prevention and treatment, establishment and maintenance of strong provider-patient relationships, evidence-based patient teaching and coaching, establishment and maintenance of strong collaborative relationships within the healthcare team, negotiation of healthcare delivery systems, monitoring, and ensuring the quality of healthcare practice.
- Performs complete and episodic health histories and physical exams, in order to identify existing or potential health problems.
- Initiates and implements an individualized nursing and medical plan of care in collaboration with physicians, nurses and ancillary personnel.
- Initiates appropriate diagnostic, therapeutic, medical and nursing actions in conjunction with physician.
- Provides follow-up care including acute and routine examinations. Assesses progress, identifies problems, initiates preventive measures, and recognizes emergent problems.
- Monitors and adjusts patient medication including adequate pain control. Implements aggressive nutritional therapies.
- Orders intravenous therapy for patients on chemotherapeutic agents, including the preparation under accepted safety equipment standards and administration of chemotherapy via peripheral sites, central venous catheters, Omaya reservoirs, and intra-abdominal reservoirs after appropriate instruction given.
- Performs venous sampling via peripheral sites and venous access devices.
- Orders appropriate laboratory and diagnostic procedures under physician supervision.
- Recognizes normal and abnormal laboratory findings and the pathology involved.
- Documents and maintains information in patient electronic medical records per policies and procedures.
- Perform patient teaching as required.
- Issues prescriptions pursuant to Section 6902 (3) (b) of the Education Law as necessary to maintain the treatment plan for patient care in collaboration with physician.
Care and practice will be based on assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the patient and established standards of practice.
- Current Pennsylvania licensure as a Registered Nurse.
- Board certification as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Current ACLS certification.
- Graduate from a registered Nurse Practitioner program with a Master's of Science in Nursing.
- AOCNP within 3 years of hire.
- ONS Chemotherapy and Biotherapy Provider Card within 1 year of hire.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to communicate with diverse populations, including physicians, employees, patients, and families.
- Leadership skills to direct others toward the successful treatment of patients.
- Analytical skills to evaluate patient status and healthcare procedures/techniques and to monitor quality of care.
- Willingness to learn and remain flexible in the changing healthcare environment.
- Ability to work at top of license.
- Ability to assist staff in times of crisis or emergency.
- Ability to conceptualize, develop, and implement new ideas or systems.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and discretion while performing duties.
- Ability to meet with the public outside the institution and efficiently market and promote cancer treatment.
- Ability to determine work priorities, assign work, and insure proper completion of work assignments.
- Epic EMR experience preferred
Full time, Monday - Friday (no weekends/holidays). Exempt from overtime eligibility in accordance with the federal Fair Labor Standards Act. May be required to take call (by phone only) on weeknights and/or weekends. Smoking is prohibited on PinnacleHealth property. This policy extends to our parking areas, sidewalks and lawns at all locations.
Apply for this job or learn more about PinnacleHealth at pinnaclehealth.org/providers or by contacting our recruiter at (717) 231-8690. EOE.