In partnership with the CEO, the Director of Fund Development will spearhead development efforts as SOPHE continues to grow from a $2.3 million non-profit enterprise. A new position in the organization, the Director will have the opportunity to design the development function and oversee the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising that will include, but is not limited to major gifts, corporate donations, planned giving, grant solicitation, and in-kind resources.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
During year one, collaborate with the CEO, Board of Trustees, and Resource Development Committee to design a fund development plan that increases revenue to support SOPHE’s strategic direction.
· Develop and maintain infrastructure for SOPHE’s development department which reflects ethical fundraising practices, including policies, procedures and software.
· Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical fund raising processes are carried out in a timely manner
· Implement the fund development plans in accordance with non-profit laws/regulations and ethical fundraising principles
· Monitor and evaluate all fundraising activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
· Develop a comprehensive communication plan to promote the organization to its donors and work with SOPHE staff on the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts
· Prepare regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of the fund development activities.
· Oversee the administration of a donor mailing list and database which respects the privacy and confidentiality of donor information.
· Coordinate in-kind donations and make decisions regarding the issuing of receipts.
· Work with staff responsible for maintaining data entry of relevant donor information, contact/meeting mores, address updates, gift processing, etc.
· Provide board/volunteer education on fund development principles and strategies and Foster an understanding of philanthropy.
· Proactively recruit, train and supervise interns and volunteers to meet the development needs of the organization in lieu of resources to hire paid staff
· Staff the Resource Development Committee.
Expand Affiliate Organization Memberships (AOM) and sponsorships/exhibits for SOPHE’s meetings
· Evaluate and recommend improvements for SOPHE’s existing AOM program.
· Identify and develop corporate, community and individual prospects for exhibits and sponsorships of SOPHE’s meetings and events.
· Build partnerships with local/regional organizations as well as colleges and universities in support of SOPHE’s development efforts.
· Expand relationships with community stakeholders to advance SOPHE’s mission and fundraising goals.
Oversee SOPHE’s 21st Century Campaign to increase revenues
· Create and execute a strategy for a large sustainable base of annual individual donors.
· Seek out and develop new relationships for individual annual donations.
· Assist with maintaining ongoing relationships with major donors.
· Oversee the planning, communication and execution of special fundraising events as specified in the fund development plan to generate funds for the organization.
Support the identification and submission of grant applications as outlined in the fund development plan to help achieve SOPHE’s mission
· Work with SOPHE staff to identify and track grant proposals and reports for all foundation and corporate fundraising.
· Research and vet federal, local, and private philanthropy funding opportunities.
· Review and provide input into SOPHE grant proposals.
Other duties as requested
· Support SOPHE staff and volunteers in executing major SOPHE programs, such as the annual meeting.
Send Resume and Cover Letter, including Salary Requirements, no later than March 10, 2017 to: Email:HR@sophe.orgBy mail to: SOPHE Human Resources, 10 G Street NE, Suite 605, Washington, DC 20002. No phone calls please. SOPHE is an equal opportunity employer. We are located next to Union Station (Red Line Metro).
The Society for Public Health Education (SOPHE) is a non-profit professional organization founded in 1950 to promote the health of all people by: stimulating research on the theory and practice of health education; supporting high quality performance standards for the practice of health education and health promotion; advocating for policy and legislation affecting health education and health promotion; and developing and promoting standards for professional preparation of health education professionals. To learn more, visit www.sophe.org.
MA required; Certified Fundraising Executive (CFRE) designation or certificate in Fundraising Management is an asset.
Knowledge of fundraising management and federal and provincial legislation affecting charities.
Commitment to organization mission and leadership.
2-3 plus years’ experience in development within a non-profit organization, preferably health-related.
Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communication skills.
Experience using Raiser's Edge, Giftworks or other comparable fundraising software.
Success requires an individual who:
Demonstrates enthusiasm and vision for laying the groundwork and infrastructure for the new department.
Is proactive, diligent, and effective in spearheading the successful maintenance and growth of revenue for SOPHE in partnership with SOPHE's executive-level leadership.
Speaks, listens and writes in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
Can adapt easily to new situations and is comfortable dealing with external partners, c-level executives, members of the board, and SOPHE’s professional volunteer workforce
Works cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance SOPHE’s organizational effectiveness.
SOPHE is a non-profit professional organization founded in 1950 to promote the health of all people by: stimulating research on the theory and practice of health education; supporting high quality performance standards for the practice of health education and health promotion; advocating for policy and legislation affecting health education and health promotion; and developing and promoting standa...rds for professional preparation of health education professionals. SOPHE is the only independent professional organization devoted exclusively to public health education and health promotion at the national level and in 21 chapters.