KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of inventory control and record keeping; ability to assume primary responsibility for the maintenance, transmittal and release of essential data and records as assigned.
- Skill in the safe and effective use, maintenance and calibration of a variety of automatic, semiautomatic and manual analytic instruments and devices. Knowledge of the safe and effective use of chemicals, reagents and other equipment, and the ability to demonstrate and explain their use to others. Ability to provide general oversight, guidance and direction to other staff or act as team leader a particular shift, project or activity, and ensure that protocols are followed in connection with all procedures.
- Skill and knowledge necessary to assume responsibility for maintaining quality assurance and quality control for a prescribed area in compliance with government, safety and other regulatory requirements. Ability to explain and interpret such requirements to others.
- Skill in the use of laboratory information systems for purposes of maintaining and recording data and records in an accurate manner.
- Skill and proficiency in the performance of any and all tasks associated with the Histotechnologist I and II positions with regard to preparation of microscopic slides and specimens for examination and the use of techniques, materials and equipment related thereto. Ability to perform assigned tasks according to acceptable standards of performance in connection with periodic employee evaluations.
- Ability to function in the capacity of a Histotechnologist to perform predominantly complex or difficult tests and procedures requiring skills and knowledge beyond that required of a Histotechnician I in the County Health Service. Ability to bring a high degree of proficiency to a variety of advanced tasks, which may include providing technical assistance, instruction or guidance to other laboratory personnel.
- Ability to apply scientific principles and practices to new tasks and problems not previously encountered and exercise professional discretion and judgement in working with variable guidelines and written procedures requiring greater specificity and interpretation, or determining when to seek further consultation.
- Ability to confer on equal footing in terms of knowledge and understanding with other Histotechnologist II's, and to communicate effectively in technical matters with senior staff as necessary.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others both verbally and through written reports, using a high degree of technical language. Ability to read and interpret communications from others.
- Ability to assist Pathologist, Histotechnologist I and III or other staff in highly special tasks and procedures.
- Ability to perform responsible decision-making in a number of areas. Ability to evaluate and validate new and existing methodologies applicable to the laboratory as well as identify problems and effectively resolve or address irregularities and discrepancies which may arise in the testing process.
- Ability to effectively operate a PC or other work station and perform responsible administrative tasks in support of the unit.
- Ability to maintain the confidentiality of patient related materials in compliance with HIPP A requirements.
- This position occasionally requires various types of physical exertion including, but not limited to climbing, lifting, pulling, pushing, prolonged standing, operating laboratory equipment and other devices, or moving moderate to heavy weight.
Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
Basic Term Life Insurance
Deferred Compensation Program
Paid Holidays, Vacation, and Sick Time
You may also qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
For further information on our excellent benefits package, please click on the following link:http://www.cookcountyrisk.com/
When applying for employment with the Cook County Health & Hospitals System, preference is given to honorably discharged Veterans who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States for not less than 6 months of continuous service
To take advantage of this preference a Veteran must:
Meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
Identify self as a Veteran on the employment application by answering yes to the question by answering yes to the question, Are you a Military Veteran?
Attach a copy of their DD 214, DD 215 or NGB 22 (Notice of Separation at time of application filing. Please note: If you have multiple DD214s, 215s, or NGB 22S, Please submit the one with the latest date. Coast Guard must submit a certified copy of the military separation from either the Department of Transportation (Before 9/11) or the Department of Homeland Security (After 9/11). Discharge papers must list and Honorable Discharge Status. Discharge papers not listing an Honorable Discharge Status are not acceptable
A copy of a valid State ID Card or Driver's License which identifies the holder of the ID as a Veteran, may also be attached to the application at time of filing.
If items are not attached, you will not be eligible for Veteran Preference
VETERANS MUST PROVIDE ORIGINAL APPLICABLE DISCHARGE PAPERS OR APPLICABLE STATE ID CARD OR DRIVER'S LICENSE AT TIME OF INTERVIEW.
MUST MEET ALL REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF APPLICATION FILING.
***Degrees awarded outside of the United States with the exception of those awarded in one of the United States' territories and Canada must be credentialed by an approved U.S. credential evaluation service belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE). Original credentialing documents must be presented at time of interview***
*Please note all offers of Employment are contingent upon the following conditions: satisfactory professional & employment references, healthcare and criminal background checks, appropriate licensure/certifications and the successful completion of a physical and pre-employment drug screen.
*CCHHS is strictly prohibited from conditioning, basing or knowinglyprejudicing or affecting any term or aspect of County employment or hiring uponor because of any political reason or factor.
COOK COUNTY GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER