Swedish Medical Center is looking for a Coding Specialist \(1\.0 FTE, Days\) to work in Coding and Abstracting at Swedish Met Park in Seattle, WA\.
As a primary member of the Clinical Documentation Improvement Program \(CDIP\) Team, the Coding Specialist assigns diagnosis and procedure codes on inpatient and outpatient cases using ICD\-9\-CM and CPT coding systems, designates DRGs using the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services \(CMS\) and All Patient groupers, and abstracts data for statistical, reimbursement and regulatory requirements\.
\*Telecommute option available
In this position you will:
- Apply all coding principles and guidelines as defined in the Coding Clinic, CPT Assistant, AHIMA Standards of Ethical Coding, Swedish Policies, and other leading authorities\.
- Ensure accurate ICD\-9\-CM, CPT and DRG assignments by using all available functions and edits of the encoding system\.
- Discuss discrepancies regarding DRG assignment and/or secondary diagnoses with clinical documentation specialists within specified timeframe\.
- Identify and interact with clinical documentation specialist/physician to solicit additional clinical information to assign optimal DRG\.
- Provide education to the medical staff, clinical documentation specialists and hospital staff on documentation, coding and DRG assignment\.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Registered Health Information Technologist \(RHIT\) or Registered Health Information Administrator \(RHIA\) or Certified Coding Specialist \(CCS\) or Certified Procedural Coder Hospital \(CPC\-H\) or Certified Coding Associate \(CCA\)
- If not certified or registered at time of employment working on obtaining certification or registration highly preferred \.
- 3 years ICD\-9\-CM and CPT coding experience performing hospital based inpatient and outpatient coding
- Minimum of 3 months demonstrated proficiency in a concurrent medical record review program that emphasizes partnering between clinical documentation specialists and coding
- Advanced knowledge of coding principles, disease process, and DRG assignment functions
- Working experience with Windows applications
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Associate's Degree or equivalent from a two\-year college or technical school or completion of a certified coding program and three years related experience\.
- Will consider applicants with relevant experience and applicable education\.
About Swedish Shared Services
Swedish is the largest, most comprehensive, nonprofit health provider in the Greater Seattle area\. Our expanding network of facilities currently includes three hospital locations in Seattle, a hospital in Edmonds and the new Swedish Issaquah campus\. It also consists of Swedish Medical Group's network of primary care clinics, and affiliations with suburban hospitals and specialty clinics throughout Greater Seattle\.
Each campus has a local operations leadership team, supported by centrally located and led corporate services, such as Human Resources, Financial and Information Services\.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits — see our website for details
Our Non\-Profit Mission: Improve the health and well\-being of each person we serve\.
Since 1910, Swedish has been a hallmark of excellence\. Swedish has grown to become the largest non\-profit health provider in the Greater Seattle area with 11,000 employees, more than 2,800 physicians and 1,700 volunteers\. Swedish is committed to being the best place to receive care, and also the best place to work\. We reward our employees with generous compensation and benefits, individualized orientation, education and a supportive work environment\. Swedish is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer\. Swedish does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, protected veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law\.
Job Category: Billing / Insurance
Req ID: 144329