The Eastern Kansas Health Care System (EKHCS) is seeking a full-time Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN) or Physician Assistantto work on a Patient Centered Care Team (PACT) at the Colmery O'neil VA Medical Center in Topeka KS. The incumbentis responsible and accountable for provision of care for a specific group of patients to include the management of complex patient care. He/she will provide leadership in the application of the nursing processes to patient care, organizational processes and/or systems improving outcomes at the program or service level. He/she will be responsible for activities considered to be usual nursing practice and selected expanded functional defined in approved protocols and clinical practice guidelines. He/she is involved in direct patient care, patient and family teaching, staff education and multidisciplinary consultations and collaborations. Other duties include but are not limited to:
- Provides preventive, diagnostic and therapeutic health service to a broad-spectrum of Veterans assigned to the Colmery O'neil VA Medical Center. Manages a panel of patients assigned to patient-aligned care team (PACT).
- Takes comprehensive or focused history and physical exams, reviews past medical history of patients and request and/or performs diagnostic tests.
- Provides direct and independent medical care in the presence of illness or disability in order to maintain life, provide comfort, reduce distress and enhanced coping ability.
- Makes medical decisions, orders diagnostic tests, forms treatment plans and makes appropriate referrals under the guidance of a physician and/or practice guidelines.
- Works as a member of a teamlet within Primary Care to ensure the highest quality of care is offered to Veteran enrolled in the system. Participate in all Primary Care staff meetings, team huddles, etc.
- Maintains recognized Nurse Practitioner standards of Practice and follows approved Scope of Practice.
- Exhibits strong clinical skills to improve patients care for an aging, adult population; as well as excellent interpersonal relationship skills in interpreting and communicating health care information to the patient, family and that interdisciplinary health care team.
- Provides comprehensive healthcare which includes the assessment, diagnosis, planning, ordering, and interpretation of therapeutic interventions to a population of female Veterans across the lifespan.
- Provides gender specific examinations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Primarily day shift, 8:00am-4:30pm, 5 days per week. Shifts may need adjustment based on the needs of the service.
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician Assistant Scope of PracticeBasic Requirements:
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Education. Applicants must be a graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations; AND have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university reccognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Certification. Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Phnysician Assistants (NCCPA) is required for employment in VHA. Note: Recent PA graduates who are eligible to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) may be employed by VA on a temporary basis (38 U.S.C. 7405), for a period not to exceed two years, as provided in VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section G, Paragraph 5.
- English Language Proficiency. PAs appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d).
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. Physical Requirements:?,Heavy Lifting (45 pounds and over); Heavy Carrying (45 pounds and over); Straight pulling and/or Pushing (up to 6-8 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both Hands required; Walking (up to 6-8 hours); Standing (up to 4 hours); Sitting (up to 1 hour); Kneeling; Repeated bending (up to 1 hour); Both legs required. Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20; Hearing (aid permitted); Ability to hear whispered voice. Emotional stability. Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously. All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Assistant Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1931013.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.