- Participates in and/or manages all aspects of?,colorectal patients to include surgical, inpatient care, and outpatient clinical visits; administrative and academic components.
- Provides direct patient care as well as resident supervision and clinical instruction in the operating room, outpatient clinic and inpatient settings.
- Attends, participates, and oversees residents and/or medical students in outpatient clinics and the performance of any procedure whether in the operating room or at the bedside appropriate to their level of graduate responsibility.
- Takes an active role in the evaluation of the patient, decision for treatment/care, and documentation in the patient electronic records.
- Serves on service level and hospital committees as needed and participate in the facility peer review program.
- Maintains professional competency, courtesy and flexibility or provide the necessary services of this specialty.
- Utilizes electronic medical records to accurately document treatment in a timely manner.
A copy of the functional statement for this position can be made available upon request, after the closing date of vacancy announcement.
Note: Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected.
U.S. Citizenship: Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
English Language Proficiency: Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Education: Must possess a degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in allopathic medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from an institution whose accreditation was in place for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are: (1) Schools of medicine accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) for the year in which the degree was granted, or (2) Schools of osteopathic medicine approved by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) of the American Osteopathic Association for the year in which the degree was granted. (3) For foreign medical graduates not covered in (1) or (2) above, facility officials must verify with the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) that the applicant has met requirements for certification, and must obtain a copy of the ECFMG certificate, if claimed by the applicant.
Licensure: Physicians must possess a current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia. The physician must maintain current registration in the State of licensure if this is a requirement for continuing active, current licensure.
- Board Certified or Board Eligible with the American Board of Surgery inColonand RectalSurgery.
- Maintains current ACLS and BLS Certification.
- Colon cancer resection.
- Diverticulitis surgery.
- Small bowl resection.
References: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard http://vaww.va.gov/ohrm/Directives-Handbooks/Documents/5005.pdf. This can also be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. If your résumé/application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s). If you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact for an interview. Physical Standards: The physician should be physically and mentally capable to perform the duties of the position. Physical activities include sitting, standing (up to 2 hours) walking (up to 2 hours), heavy lifting (45 pounds or over), reaching above the shoulder, and repeated bending.
An incomplete application will receive a rating of IFM (ineligible due to missing forms). Requests for reconsideration will not be considered for applicants who fail to submit a complete application package. We cannot be held responsible for incompatible software or fax transmissions.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV), Résumé, or Application (http://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850-fill.pdf).
- Online Questionnaire View Assessment Questions
- If you are a current or formal Federal Employee, you must include your latest SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action which shows your position title/grade and step (do not submit an Award SF-50). Also provide the SF-50 that reflects the highest grade level held on a permanent basis or the full performance level of your current position, whichever is higher. Failure to do so will result in an ineligible rating.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification. For more information, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.