St. Catherine Hospital in Garden City was founded by two pioneering physicians and the Dominican Sisters more than 80 years ago. This 115-bed, Joint Commission-accredited regional health care center provides a full-range of medical specialties for the people of southwest Kansas with a Level III Emergency Room, leading edge cardiac care, the Maternal-Child Birth Center and a free standing Cancer Center affiliated with the Midwest Cancer Alliance, part of the University of Kansas Cancer Center. Exceptional care, extraordinary people and a faith-based, non-profit mission - it’s what makes the St. Catherine Hospital unique for patients and rewarding for associates. Residents of Garden City enjoy life in a relaxed, small-town (population approx. 30,000) with a zoo, several parks, golf courses, modern shopping and more. For more information about St. Catherine Hospital, visit http://www.stcatherinehosp.org/.
Job Description/Job Posting ID: 96595
Recruiter Contact: SueForster@centura.org
Based out of Garden City, Kansas, our HR Director will act as a strategic partner to develop and deliver strategies/programs that will ensure hiring and retaining the highest quality employees at St. Catherine Hospital. Oversees HR functional areas of employment, compensation, employee relations, and leadership development. Works with corporate Centers of Excellence and local team of HR generalist, payroll specialist, part-time occupational health nurse, and HR lead at sister facility. Works directly with the Director of HR for Centura Health Physician Group in managing human resource related matters such as employee relations and job requisitions at the Kansas facilities. Ensures compliance with applicable laws and regulatory agencies. Advises leadership and other customers on administration of policies and programs related to HR services. Administers policies and programs with HR staff. Manages department for quality and efficiency. Facilitates partnerships for continued healthcare growth and competencies. Maintains complete and accurate records. Actively participates and contributes to St. Catherine senior leadership meetings, corporate HR Leadership team meetings in Denver (2x month), and semi-annual strategic advance meetings, in addition to leading HR meetings in all Centura Health Kansas' facilities. As part of the Senior Executive Team at St. Catherine's, will represent administration at many functions. Able to conduct brown bags meetings with supervisors and managers on HR topics monthly.
Centura Health Kansas facilities include:
St. Catherine's Hospital is a 115 bed acute care facility with 620FTEs; Bob Wilson has 26 beds and 125 FTEs,
and Dodge City Clinic has 11 physicians, 5 mid-levels, and about 55 FTEs.
- Bachelors degree in Human Resources management, business, education or related field.
- Masters preferred.
- PHR/SPHR, or similar related certifications preferred
work experience requirements
- 5 years of responsibility in Human Resources management role
- Healthcare experience in acute care environment required.
- Strong employee relations, project management, data analysis, decision support experience desired to look at turnover analysis, associate engagement and retention programs, and work force planning.
- Need a hands-on leader who is highly engaged and visible to wear multiple hats and play important role on senior leadership team who can effectively operationalize programs and strategies.
- Proven skills in employee and labor relations and demonstrates leadership skills in an HR environment.
- Knowledge of governmental regulations and legal compliance regarding employment and benefits.
- Knowledge of development and implementation of training/orientation programs.
- Baseline knowledge of healthcare recruitment and compensation issues.
- Knowledgeable in JCAHO and HIPPA requirements, budget process and developing and implementation training programs as it relates to Human Resources.
- Strong executive presence with excellent communication skills to relate to associates at all levels, peers and senior leadership.
- Experience in highly matrixed health system environment highly desirable.
Position duties (essential functions)
- Directs the implementation of human resources objectives that measurably contribute to the achievement of St. Catherine/Western Kansas market and Centura Health strategic objectives
- Provides human resources expertise or support for compliance with all regulatory, licensing bodies and governmental codes and laws, including JCAHO standards, and city, county, state and federal agencies.
- Ensures that all hospital decisions concerning associates comply with all federal and state laws. Resolves associate complaints using approved resolution tools. Advises department directors and supervisors on appropriate associate relations techniques
- Promptly conducts internal investigations, including discrimination, harassment and integrity concerns
- Provides human resources expertise and/or counsel in day-to-day employee/management-related functions to include; interviewing and hiring, evaluating and improving employee performance, orientating new employees and other applicable persons, inservice, counseling, disciplining, terminating employees, recommending and approving pay increases, employee status changes, grievances and compliance processing
- Develops and implements appropriate action plans and strategies, identifies and responds to market trends to meet the changing needs of the organization and customers
- Assesses and identifies leadership development needs, and coordinates and delivers training to meet those needs.
- Develops and is accountable for the human resources fiscal year operation budget
- Identifies and resolves in partnership with the department directors and administration all employee relations/compensations/recruitment issues. Ensures, in conjunction with corporate compensation, all pay ranges are up to date
- Ensures all job descriptions and competencies are up to date
- Reviews/revises policies, procedures, plans and job descriptions annually
- Develops/supervises departmental goals and sets priorities
- Plans, directs and monitors the functions of the department
- Supervises department personnel by providing performance evaluations, counseling, coaching, and when necessary, disciplinary actions
- Actively participates in hospital and medical staff committees as requested.
- Ensures thorough and confidential maintenance of Human Resources files, needs assessments and education records
- Maintains confidentiality
- Supports a culture that respects individual diversity and builds commitment to shared mission, values, and strategic objectives
- Demonstrates a commitment to individual, staff, departmental and institutional growth and development
- Maintains and promotes open communication, both written and verbal, with all members of the healthcare team and the community
- Demonstrates effective and exemplary communication skills, both written and oral to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrates effective presentation skills to a variety of audiences
- Demonstrates exceptional organizational skills
- Demonstrates ability to adapt to changing priorities within the department and organization
- Demonstrates 'Value Analysis' decision making, dealing with people with diplomacy and sensitivity
- Provides leadership support to achieve customer service, financial goals, and quality milestones in alignment with hospital visions, missions and goals
* This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned.
Important notification to applicants as of Nov. 20, 2014: Effective Jan. 1, 2015, Centura Health will no longer hire tobacco users in Colorado and Kansas. The change to our policy does not apply to associates hired on or before Dec. 31, 2014. Centura Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.