DUTIES: The Physician Assistant will function as a physician extender within the SICU department working closely with surgeons and other services; coordinating continuity of patient care in the Surgical ICU. The Physician Assistant is responsible for ensuring person qualities such as emotional stability, dependability, positive relations with staff and community, adherence to ethical standards, cooperation with others, and attendance/participation in clinic meetings/peer councils. The incumbent will provide care within a defined scope of practive. The major duties of the Physician Assistant include, but are not limited to;
* Providing effective care to patients characterized by the use of sound judgement in assessing, planning, implementing documenting and evaluating patient care for assigned patients.
* Possessing the skill and competency to obtain thorough medical histories, perform comprehensive physical examination, order appropriate diagnostic studies, interpret and analyze medical data, establish diagnoses, formulate and implement treatment plans and modify treatment plans when appropriate.
* Works effectively and makes appropriate requests for assistance from the assigned physician and recognizes complex patient care situations where referral is appropriate.
* Knowledge of mechanical ventilation modalities and oxygen therapy, insulation and monitoring of weaning from mechanical ventilator support, placement or assistance in placement and management of peripheral and central intravenous catheters to include PICC-line placement, collection and interpretation of data derived from invasive cardiopulmonary monitors, formulation of system specific diagnostic and treatment plans, supervision of transportation of critically-ill patients to and from the intensive care areas for the purpose of diagnostic and/or therapeutic interventions elsewhere in the hospital.
* Will attend multi-disciplinary rounds on patients, write periodic progress notes, facilitate diagnostic and/or therapeutic interventions agreed upon by the consulting and consulted service, and maintain timely and effective communications with the requesting service.
* Performs a full range of administrative duties relative to the assignment.
* The incumbent is also responsible and accountable for maintaining Basic Life Support and Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (Out of Operating Room Airway Management certification encouraged).
* Serve as a clinical preceptor for students or organizes and participate in facility clinical educational programs.
* Communicates and collaborate affectively with others facility staff and outside institutions when applicable to the area of assignment.
* Other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Compressed 12 hours tours with rotating nights and weekends
- U.S citizenship
- Education - The candidate mist meet the following: (1) Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations; and (2) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Certification - (1) Current and continues certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistant (NCCPA) is required for employment in VHA. (1) Recent PA graduates who are eligible to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) may be employed by VA on a temporary basis (38 U.S.C. 7405), for a period not to exceed two years, as provided in VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 2, Paragraph 5. (3) If a PA's NCCPA certification is suspended, revoked or expires, the PA must be removed from the occupation which may result in termination of employment.
- English Language -PA's appointed to direct patient-care position must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d).
- Must pass a pre-employment physical.
- Employment is contingent upon a successful adjudication of a background investigation.
- Certified Acute Care
- 2 -3 years experience in Critical Care and 2 -3 years of ICU experience in Acute Care
Full Grade - Graduate of the PA program which is accredited by the ARC-PA or one of its predecessor organizations and I have a Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA program or other health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education and current and continuous certification by the NCCPA.
Intermediate Grade - In addition to the basic requirement, I also have one year professionalpractice as a Physician's Assistant;OR successful completion of the PApost-graduate residency program accredited by ARC-PA orby the U.S. Armed Forces; ORa Master's degree from a PA training program certified by ARC-PA or other health carefield from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Senior Grade - In addition to meeting the basic requirements and all requirements for the Intermediate Grade, (a) I have practiced as a Physician's Assistant for three (3) years. OR (b) 2 years of professional practice as a PA and successful completion of a PA post-graduate residency program accredited by ARC-PA or by the U.S. Armed Forces; OR (c) 2 years of professional practice as a PA and a Master's degree from a PA training program certified by ARC-PA or in another health-related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education;OR (d) A Doctoral degree in a health-related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Chief Grade - In addition to meeting the basic requirements, I meet all requirements described for Senior GradeAND (a) I have 5 years of professional practice as a PAdemonstrating a high level of clinical expertise, leadership ability, and the ability to function with a high degree of autonomy in the areas ofManagement/Administrative, Clinical Proficiency, Professional Development, Ethics, Interpersonal Skills, and Research AND (b) I have the minimum education of a Master's Degree from a PA training program accredited by ARC-PA or in a health-related field of study OR I haveequivalent knowledge of the PA profession and have successfully undertaken a combination of difficult or complex assignments in several clinical, administrative, research and educational arenas which required a high degree of competence.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005, Chapter II, Appendix G8 Physician Assistant Qualification Standards. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: The Physical requirements of this position include the following tasks which may be performed intermittently: light lifting, under 15 pounds, light carrying, under 15 pounds, use of fingers, near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4, specific visual requirement (read typewritten material), ability to distinguish basic colors, and emotional and mental stability.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1950964.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.