Duties of the provider:
The NP or PA will provide primary care services to all patients assigned to them. The provider will manage scheduled and unscheduled patients in the outpatient clinic setting. A physician will provide collaboration/supervision as needed.
Primary providers in the outpatient setting are typically assigned a panel of patients to manage. Panel size at this time is determined by utilizing VHA PCMM software. Panel size is determined at the National level, through a complex formula which extracts local information regarding available support staff, number of exam rooms, etc. Each provider's panel size is specific to their practice and setting.
Alternative or collateral duties may include management of a subsection of primary care patients, the subsection may be defined either by a disease status (e.g. spinal cord injury patients), or demographic status (women veterans, OIF/OEF veterans, employees etc.). Typically these duties are designated at the time of joining but occasionally during the course of employment, participation in special projects pertinent to assigned section may be necessary as the projects become available through strategic or other initiatives. Other alternative or collaborative duties may include providing clinical video telehealth to patients at another outpatient clinic or VA site.
During the course of employment, participation in special projects may be necessary as the projects become available with strategic or other initiatives. Examples of such projects may be palliative care program, multidisciplinary cancer care program, and chronic disease management program.
Most providers will need to act as surrogates for the patients of their colleagues, when one or more of their colleagues are on leave.
All providers need to follow departmental and VHA policies for leave and attendance and will work within Title 38 appointment guidelines.
Timely documentation is necessary in all areas in accordance with departmental policy. All administrative work should be completed in a timely fashion. Prohibited abbreviations should not be used.
Quality of care should be able to meet professional standards at all times.
All providers will work within their privileges at all times, unless necessitated by an emergency.
Ability to work in a technologically advanced environment utilizing state of the art alternative methods of patient care. This may include such technologies as clinical video telehealth and secure messaging in order to increase Veterans access to healthcare.
Work Schedule:Monday - Friday8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Functional Statement Title/#:Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner (CBOCs)
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English Language Proficiency. Physician Assistants and Nurse Practitioners must be proficient in written and spoken English as required by 38 USC 7402(d) and 7407(d).
Additional Physician Assistant Qualifications:
1. Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations; and a Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
2. Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician's Assistants (NCCPA) is a requirement for employment.
Additional Nurse Practitioner Qualifications:
1. Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State agency, and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant. 1) The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), 2) The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), an accrediting arm of the American Association of College of Nursing (AACN). The CCNE accredits bachelors and masters degree programs. (b) [The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. In these programs, students are given a certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX and should submit this certification to VA prior to appointment.
2.A nurse practitioner must be licensed or otherwise recognized as a nurse practitioner in a State, possess a master's degree from a program accredited by the ACEN or CCNE, and maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. The certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G8,Physician Assistant Qualification Standards,or Appendix G6, Nurse Practitioner Qualification Standards.This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.Physical Requirements: This position requires heavy lifting and carrying, 45 pounds, straight pulling, pushing, reaching above shoulder, use of fingers; both hands required; walking and standing 8 hours intermittently; repeated bending; both legs required; ability for rapid mental & muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable@ 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; depth perception; ability to distinguish shades of colors; hearing (aide permitted). Transferring patients and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. May occasionally be exposed to patients who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on patient needs.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s):
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
*Other Veterans Document
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1930605.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.