Providence is calling a Senior Labor and Employment Counsel to Providence Health & Services in Irvine, CA .
Essential Position Purpose:
Under guidance of Chief Labor/Employment Counsel, and in coordination with other Labor/Employment Attorneys, serves as labor and employment counsel to employers throughout Providence St. Joseph Health ("PSJH"), including representation and day-to-day advice in all aspects of labor and employment matters and related litigation. Represents employers in the system before the EEOC, DOL, and corollary state agencies, NLRB, and other administrative forums. Represents employers in the system in traditional labor matters, such as organizing issues from the pre-petition stage through post-election procedures, litigation before the NLRB, grievances and arbitrations, and serves as the spokesperson during collective bargaining negotiations for many of the collective bargaining agreements throughout the system. Provides advice and guidance in the development of labor relations strategies, communication and education.
The attorney must have strong written and verbal communication skills, an ability to deliver on commitments, and be able to integrate many approaches and initiatives. The attorney must perform all duties in a manner that promotes a team concept and reflects the Providence mission and philosophy.
In this position you will:
· Provide legal analysis, advice and counsel to each PSJH employer on labor and employment matters.
· Provides strategic advice regarding all aspects of labor law.
· Actively participates in providing regular and timely legal information as a continuing educational resource for PSJH ministries, including development of presentation materials, delivery of presentations, and development of written summaries regarding labor and employment regulatory/legal changes affecting employers.
· Provides research and technical support and drafts legal opinions for the determination and resolution of complex legal issues.
· Responds to administrative agencies, demand letters, and other claims.
· Manages and coordinates relationship with outside counsel on employment litigation to meet organizational goals, in a cost-effective manner. Assesses best case strategy and need for settlement on litigation, guides outside counsel, and supervises the work of outside counsel. Provides advice directly to client regarding litigation management.
· Works with HR BPs and leaders to improve investigatory processes and outcomes, and other proactive steps to mitigate risk.
· Serves as spokesperson in labor contract negotiations and/or serves as a resource to Human Resources Director or negotiators by providing information on the provisions in current contracts and the impact of contract changes.
· Collaborates with multi-disciplinary system and regional leaders' communication and corporate campaign efforts.
· Coordinates contract preparation and strategy development, and consults and provides expert advice on labor relations to organizational leaders and managers.
· Develops relationships with and, as appropriate, serves as contact with labor unions on specific contracts.
· Develops relationships with and serves as contact with the NLRB and other government agencies.
· Designs and sponsors management labor education (incorporating Catholic social teachings, where appropriate). Works with HR Leadership to develop specific curriculum and course materials.
· Keeps clients updated on labor legislation, labor market conditions, and union practices.
· Develops content for privileged resource website available for HR Leaders.
· Reviews labor relations communication plans for legal compliance, and works with internal resources to prepare and implement timely and effective communications with employees, managers, and senior leadership.
· Participates and represents PSJH in labor relations forums and professional associations.
· Collaborates with PSJH leaders and other DLA attorneys, as appropriate.
· Keeps HR Executive Team and HR Leadership updated on relevant emerging issues.
· Effectively collaborates with key HR leaders and Chief Executives to support the operational and organizational goals and objectives. Maintaining clarity as to appropriate role of legal counsel within operational unit. Ongoing effective labor communications. Managing labor relations and legal compliance in a manner that is congruent with Core Values and, where appropriate, Catholic Social Teachings on labor.
· Remains current and knowledgeable with respect to labor/employment law, particularly with issues affecting health care.
· Performs routine and complex work assignments independently.
· Performs other duties and responsibilities as required.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- A Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from an accredited law school. Admission to the State Bar of California, Oregon or Washington is required for continued employment.
- Extensive experience (at least 8 to 10 years) in practicing employment litigation and labor law, with in-depth knowledge of the NLRA and contract negotiations. Experience as in-house counsel in similar role preferred.
- Licence to practice in at least one of the states where Providence operates.
- Expert knowledge of labor laws, collective bargaining, and employment law.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, negotiation skills and the ability to use adult learning principles.
About the department you will serve.
Providence Strategic and Management Services provides a variety of functional and system support services for all eight regions of Providence Health & Services from Alaska to California. We are focused on supporting our Mission by delivering a robust foundation of services and sharing of specialized expertise.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Director / Executive
Req ID: 143410