Providence is calling a Coder Abstractor II to Providence Health & Services in Everett, WA. ( Day Shift, 1.0 FTE).
The coder / abstractor assigns the appropriate ICD-10-CM diagnosis / procedure codes and CPT procedure code(s) assignments for all inpatient / outpatient accounts and/or the ED facility E/M levels & charges in accordance with CMS and NCHS "Official Coding Guidelines for Coding and Reporting"; and completes the abstraction / charge entry process in the STAR billing system. Performs all duties in a manner which promotes and supports the Core Values of the Sisters of Providence.
In this position you will:
- Demonstrates knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, clinical medicine, surgery, diagnostic tests, radiology, pathology as required by a wide variety of medical specialties.
- Ability to interpret/analyze medical data - based on coding specific guidelines.
- Demonstrates and applies in-depth knowledge of coding/classification systems which are appropriate for inpatient, outpatient, and emergency care.
- The data analyst must possess and demonstrate knowledge of computerized databases for coding and abstracting. Ability to perform accurate data entry.
- Demonstrates and possesses in-depth knowledge of health record content and sequence.
- Demonstrates ability for critical thinking to analyze medical records for abstraction of data for input into computerized coding systems.
- Informs management of consistent problems.
- Participates in professional association education offerings and other activities to keep abreast of current technology and organizational practices.
- Maintains continuing education requirements appropriate for credential (if applicable).
- Confidential information & conversations are secured from general public access.
- Ensure all faxes and other communications between the RC, the lead node, and the data management centers adhere to federal regulations.
- Maintains full knowledge of HIPAA regulations.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Associate and/or higher degree in a healthcare related program.
- AHIMA or AAPC coding credential.
- Accreditation as Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Register Health Information Administrator (RHIA).
- One year of acute hospital based coding experience - inpatient, ED or ASU
Preferred qualifications for this position include:
- Associate degree in Health Information Technology.
- CCS certification.
- Graduate of an AHIMA accredited Health Information Technology or Health Information Management program or self-study course.
- One year of hospital-based HIM department background experience of experience through practicum of an AHIMA accredited Health Information Technology or Health Information Management program.
About the hospital you will serve.
Providence Regional Medical Center Everett in Everett, WA is the state's most award-winning hospital for medical care; having received the HealthGrades Distinguished Hospital Award for Clinical Excellence four years in a row. Our new state-of-the-art 12 story hospital tower and the implementation of an electronic medical records system will significantly enhance our patient's experience throughout the continuum of care.
The hospital is located in Snohomish County on the Sound and close to the mountains, so outdoor activities such as snow skiing, kayaking, and golfing are at your doorstep. The communities in Snohomish have all the comforts and appeal of small towns, with historical districts, beautiful homes, interesting boutiques, and unique restaurants, yet the city life of Seattle and Bellevue are just 30 minutes south, while the cosmopolitan city of Vancouver, BC lies only 2 hours north.
We offer a full comprehensive range of benefits - see our website for details
As people of Providence, we reveal God's love for all, especially the poor and vulnerable, through our compassionate service.
Providence Health & Services is the third largest not-for-profit health system in the United States. Providence employs more than 82,000 caregivers (employees) across a five-state area; AK, WA, MT, OR, and CA. Our facilities include 34 hospitals, 600 physician clinics, senior services, supportive housing and other health and educational services. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Billing / Insurance
Req ID: 142176