The G.V. Sonny Montgomery Veterans Affairs Medical Center is a tertiary care facility with state of the art clinical facilities. The candidate will serve as a General Surgeon in the Surgical Service and will report to the Service Chief.. The candidate is expected to perform the full range of major complex general surgery operations on the lower and upper alimentary tract and abdomen and its contents and some laparoscopic procedures consistent with the tertiary care mission of this facility.
* Knowledgeable and experienced in relation to the diagnosis, preoperative, operative, and postoperative management, including the management of complications
* Performing a full range of general surgery procedures, and some laparoscopic procedures, in the operating room consistent with the tertiary care mission of the facility
* Clinical care will include pre-operative and post-operative general surgical services, inpatient care including, ICU and surgical outpatient clinics, and on-call responsibilities
* Advising and consulting with providers in other services concerning surgery or potential surgery cases
* Provides a full range of services including assessment and using the most appropriate medical/surgical techniques in providing quality care in general surgery
* Performs examinations to confirm patients can undergo surgery, explain the procedures, and discuss the risks involved, determine the type of surgery including use of advanced minimally invasive operative procedures
* Participates effectively in team meetings and treatment planning conferences, and collaborates with multidisciplinary team members in a manner that enhances coordination of comprehensive patient care
* Prepares consults in both inpatient and outpatient settings to ensure treatment effectiveness and alters the course of treatment as indicated Provides a full range of therapeutic interventions of a general surgeon to units/programs in the Medical Center and has clinical privileges to practice including diagnostic assessment, medication evaluation and management.
* Orders diagnostic tests and discriminates between normal and abnormal findings and makes appropriate treatment decisions
* Order antibiotics, special diets, sedatives, and other prescriptions for pre- and post-operative treatment
* Ensures that the practice of medicine is consistent with Joint Commission, VA policies and procedures, VISN standards, national statutes and regulations, medical record documentation, mandatory continuing education, and HIPPA policies
* Participates in quality management program with collection of data and participates in the review of mid-level provider data and quality management reports
* Provide supervision and management of residents, medical students, associated clinics and operating rooms
* Demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills for success as a member of the surgical team as well as a member of the overall health care team
* Qualified to perform endoscopic procedures
* Utilizes the computer medical records for patient documentation
Work Schedule:Monday - Friday; 8:00am - 4:00pm. Includes weekend call and available after hours for scheduled on call status.
Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
Proficiency in spoken and written English.
Physical requirements outlined below.
Preferred Experience: None
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Physical Requirements: Moderate lifting, 15-44 pounds; moderate carrying, 15-44 pounds; Emotional and Mental Stability; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking 1 hours; Both eyes required; Working alone.
All applicants are required to submit the following supporting document type(s): *Resume
Applicants may also submit the following supporting document type(s),which may not be required for all applicants:
Please use this checklist to ensure you have included other documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), documentation to support Veterans Preference claims, etc. You will not be contacted for additional information.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), or 10pt (CP/CPS, XPP, XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP), on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section(s) provided. A legible copy of your DD214(s) indicating character of service, disability certification, SF-15 (if claiming 10 pt. preference) or if you are currently serving on active duty and expected to be released or discharged within 120 days; documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. Documentation is required for eligibility verification.
Faxing Applications or Supporting Documents: You are encouraged to apply online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application. If you are unable to apply online or unable to upload your supporting documents to your online application, follow the directions located at the following site: Fax Options. The Vacancy ID of the job opportunity announcement is 1967900.
NOTE: If you applied online and your application is complete, do not fax the paper application (1203-FX) as this will overwrite your prior online responses and may result in you being found ineligible.